We’re all frustrated by the limited progress being made fixing Michigan’s economy. But the answer isn’t to give up or feel the problem is too big for you to impact. The answer is to get engaged!
- Get every civic, business or community group you are part of to spend time talking about the Michigan Turnaround Plan.
- Get those groups to express their formal support for the Plan – it doesn’t mean you have to agree with every recommendation, just most of it.
- Ask candidates running for office very specific questions about what they will do if they are elected.
- Ask candidates how they will work across party lines and seek reasoned compromise to get things done.
- Give financial support only to those candidates that are aligned with your views.
- Write or call your elected leaders. Praise them when they cast difficult votes. Tell them when you disagree.
- Talk to your employees, friends and co-workers about the Turnaround Plan and ask them to get engaged.
As citizens of this great country and state, we have a responsibility to spend some time engaging in the governance of our democracies. Most of us haven’t allocated enough time to do this in recent years. But that has to change if we are going to leave a better country and state for the next generation. It’s time to engage!